Rotor Assembly Machine
MWES designed and built a robotic rotor assembly system. The customer’s cycle time decreased to one assembled rotor every 50 seconds.
A firm came to Midwest Engineered Systems looking to design a fully automated multi-station rotor assembly system. This system must automatically:
- Accept machined rotor shells of multiple types and sizes
- Automatically load magnets with multiple types and sizes
- Apply two-part epoxy to the rotor shell and magnets using a positive displacement dispensing system
- Provide magnet bonding with individual bonding force feedback and control
- Part-cure storage rack
- Individual part inspection
- Parts must then be placed on a transfer station to be shear tested and magnetized
MWES designed and built a robotically loaded custom automated system. The customer’s cycle time decreased to one assembled part every 50 seconds. The following methods, components and technologies were implemented and integrated to provide a comprehensive solution:
- Dual manually loaded magnet part slides
- Robotic part handling of the magnets and rotor shells
- Automatically loaded magnet holding tooling
- Automatic positive displacement glue dispensing on each magnet
- Individual part servo-controlled bonding axis’
- Individual part force feedback bonding axis’
- Robotically tended cure rack
- Part Inspection using laser line generator and Cognex Vision System
Impact to the Customer
The automation system that MWES provided this customer brought about a number of improvements. Those improvements consist of part rates of one part assembled every 50 seconds or less, parts automatically assembled, all magnet pressing verified using individual axis load cell feedback, all parts being 100% inspected and verified, and bad parts automatically identified.
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in building custom automation systems. If you’re looking to improve your automation throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!
Innovation Through Automation
A manufacturer of large industrial power transformers.