Automated Cheese Cubing Machine
A leading national cheese supplier had existing machines for cutting slabs of cheese into cubes and required additional machines to handle an increase in demand.
The firm was unable to acquire new machines from the original manufacturer since they were no longer in business; therefore, Midwest Engineered Systems was asked to produce similar machines, while incorporating several design improvements.
After a full evaluation of the project’s challenges and goals, Midwest Engineered Systems provided the customer with a complete solution, which included:
- Engineering and Machine Design: Existing machines were examined and the design was re-engineered to incorporate improvements based on the customer’s experience to improve uptime and minimize wear.
- Control System Design and Programming: The equipment includes a control system with full PLC logic capability and an operator interface with motor speed controllers.
- Fabrication: Machining and electrical fabrication were built and tested at Midwest Engineering’s facility. Manufacturing practices met with National Electrical Codes (NEC) to ensure safety and were evaluated by WDA for cleanliness.
- Machine Assembly and Integration: Includes complete machine assembly and electrical controls integration.
- Food Grade Equipment Construction: All potential food surface areas were constructed and finished to current USDA and WDA standards, using all food-grade materials.
- Pre-shipment Testing: A complete pre-shipment test was performed at Midwest’s facility to ensure that all systems were designed, configured, and built to the customer’s satisfaction before being shipped to the customer’s site. This includes hardware checkout and configuration, verified communications, and installed and tested software applications.
Impact to the Customer
This firm benefited from the following:
- Higher end-product quality
- Flexibility for future expansion
- Increased production
- Reduced maintenance downtime
- Minimized potential wear and tear on machines
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in building food handling automation systems. If you’re looking to improve your food handling throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn about how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!
A leading national cheese supplier – Wisconsin