Skylift 3-Axis Welding Positioner
This project consists of an MWES standard robotic welding positioner and an end-effector for our customer’s product.
Our customer had a large part weighing 600-1,000 lbs. with multiple sizes and needed a common device to pick it up and orient the part without a crane.
MWES’ design for this customer included a number of hardware and services that include a Skylift positioner and fixturing.
MWES 3-Axis Skylift Servo Positioners:
- 8,000 lb. capacity on the mounting platter prior to tooling
- The platter axis has 360 degrees of rotation
- The arm axis has 180 degrees of rotation
- Servo vertical lift via a ball screw
- The lift axis is estimated at roughly a 60-inch travel
- Arm and platter axes are designed to be an external axis of the robot, which allows true coordinated motion with the robot
- Ground cable along with other required cables, tubing, etc. are routed through the center of the rotational axes
Custom-engineered fixturing for support of multiple SKUs:
- Two hydraulically actuated grippers
- 10 inches of travel
- Hydraulic power unit (HPU) and hydraulic hose
- Control of pump motor
Impact to the Customer
MWES provided a number of part manipulator systems that accommodated both the operator for assembly functions and the robot for finish welding of large heavy components with no need for a crane.
By eliminating the crane, the material handling time was cut in half and the safety of the overall system was increased to an operation that did not require certification for hoists, swinging mass, or operators to control and verify the safety during the positioning activities.
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in welding positioner systems. If you’re looking to improve your welding throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!
Innovation Through Automation
A dumpster rental company.