Controls Systems Engineer
Under the supervision of the Control Systems Engineering Manager, the Control Systems Engineer analyzes customer requirements and specifications, performs electrical design of controls and power distribution, writes and tests PLC and HMI programs and tests control hardware and systems. Demonstrate creativity and ingenuity when applying engineering principles to design custom machining projects involving automation principles. Work as a member of a project team and coordinates work with others, while achieving on-time completion of the project within budgetary constraints.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Plan, write, comment, test and troubleshoot PLC and HMI programs using company standard methods and conventions.
- Design and integrate machine safety and industrial network infrastructures.
- Performs in-house testing on control components and systems. Performs equipment tests at the customer site as requested.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties in order to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to manufacturing staff.
- May act as Lead Controls Systems Engineer as requested by the Engineering Manager.
- Provide Project Manager (PM) with timely status reports of assignments.
- Complete all necessary Project Development paperwork and produce meaningful project control documentation.
- Travels as required to complete project tasks.
- Maintains a strong company presence and positive working relationships with customers, subcontractors, vendors and co-workers to accomplish smooth system start-ups.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time; international travel may be required. Travel is project-based.
- Program all control components such as PLC, safety devices, HMI, servo drives, process hardware and robots from power-on to debug, and finally to process fine tuning and validation.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Technology, Automation Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- 5+ years of experience in control systems activities; including familiarity with hardware design, PLC, HMI, Vision Systems and Robot programs.
- Working knowledge of current programmable controllers and related technologies.
- Knowledge of common control and computer architecture, networking, and interfacing with higher-level computer systems.
- Experience selecting, programming, and integrating industrial control devices, sensors, PLCs, and HMIs; experience with Siemens or Allen Bradley PLCs required.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of production machinery, and equipment (Robots, LVDT and pressure transducers, dispense systems, temperature controllers, DC nutrunner torque controllers, current and power meters, induction heating systems, box erectors, labelers, laser markers, dot peen pin stampers, etc).
Our people are the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and company’s achievement as well.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
Apply for this position
Fill out the form below to apply for this position.