Automated Packaging System
Midwest Engineered Systems was contracted to build an automated system to case pack bags of produce into boxes, at 160 bags per hour.
The system was required to be flexible enough to run different batches, which may have different bag and box sizes, along with different stacks and configurations.
In order to provide a flexible case packing system, MWES provided an automated robotic case packing solution.
- Robot – Three FANUC M3iA/6S 4-Axis Delta robots with R30iB Plus Controllers were provided with Zones Venturi Vacuum End of Arm Tools (EOATs) which allows the robots to pick/place the wide range of products.
- Box Conveyor – An adjusted box conveyor was installed in the system to accommodate the various box dimensions. The width adjustment is completed by using a simple hand crank on the outside of the system.
- Product Tracking – An encoder tracking system was installed on both the produce bag and the box conveyors. The encoder tracking system provides real-time position data of the bag and box as they travel through the system, which allows the robots to pick/place without stopping the conveyors.
- Custom Structure – A one-piece custom support structure provides rigid mounting for the robots, controllers, and conveyors, allowing for easy installation into the customer’s facility. This fully integrated system provides for quick startup and integration into the existing production equipment.
- Software – The system is running FANUC iR PickTool on the robots. The iR PickTool software makes it quick and easy for the customer to add new product configurations at a later date. An Allen-Bradley PLC and panelview was also installed as part of the system for basic system interface tasks.
Impact to the Customer
The case packer that MWES provided this firm achieved these goals:
- Cost savings – Labor costs are greatly reduced by automating the process in place of hand packing the bags into boxes
- Reduction in work-related injuries – Work loss reduced by the repetitive nature of the task in addition to the automation of the manual labor
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in building case packing machines. If you’re looking to improve your production throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn about how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!
Leading shredded cheese manufacturer