Flywheel Multi-Station Custom Press
A firm came to Midwest Engineered Systems looking to fully automate a multi-station press for flywheel assembly.
The machine must automatically infeed the flywheels from the parts washer, orient a timing gear, and then install the timing gear, bearing race, snap ring and a Lee plug.
Midwest Engineered Systems designed a fully automated multi-station press that has a part rate of one assembled part every 50 seconds. The following methods, components and technologies were implemented and integrated to provide a comprehensive solution:
- Two strand chain conveyor integrated to parts washer conveyor for automatic flywheel introduction
- The vision system used to location flywheel TDC (top dead center)
- Magazine escapement loading bearing races
- Vibratory bowl feeder loaded timing gears
- The vision system used to locate gear by timing mark
- Vibratory bowl feeder loaded Lee plugs
- Magazine loaded snap rings
- Individual hydraulic pressing stations using Promess force load monitoring system for press verification feedback
- Automated snap ring installation
- Automated Lee plug installation
Impact to the Customer
MWES was able to provide the following improvements to this customer’s manufacturing process:
- Part rate of one part assembled every 50 seconds or less
- Parts are automatically assembled
- All pressing is verified using Promess force load monitoring technology
- Bad parts are automatically identified
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in building custom automation. If you’re looking to improve your manufacturing throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn about how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!
American motorcycle company – Milwaukee, WI