Automated Laser Marking
Midwest Engineered Systems integrates automated laser marking systems optimized for fast and efficient output. Custom laser marking systems are built to your specific marking needs. Automated laser marking systems have the potential to maximize speed, output and accuracy, particularly for challenging marking operations.
Automated Laser Marking
Laser marking is the process of using pulsing or continuous wave lasers to machine permanent marks on a material’s surface. Automated laser marking incorporates robotics and programming, applying advanced technology to the marking process of many manufacturing products.
In the laser marking process, a laser beam is directed at a material’s surface, affecting the physical properties of the material as well as the surface’s appearance. The result is a high-contrast mark that is permanent.
There are many methods of laser marking, including engraving, discoloration, etching, annealing and carbon migration.
Automated laser marking can effectively mark a multitude of material surfaces. Some commonly laser-marked materials include:
- Stainless Steel
Advantages of Automated Laser Marking
There are a great deal of advantages that an organization’s manufacturing facilities can enjoy when integrating automated laser marking processes into their production systems. The following are among the most notable advantages:
- Production Rates: Laser marking and automation reduces equipment downtime and allows factories to run lights-out operations. It also virtually eliminates mistakes in marking that would inevitably occur with manual marking processes. All of these factors contribute to higher production rates.
- Energy Efficiency: Laser marking is a clean process that does not rely on consumables, unlike chemical or inkjet etching which use chemicals and inks to create their markings. Laser marks are permanent and do not have to be reapplied or cleaned up afterwards, as would be the case when operating printers long enough.
- Non-Contact: Automated laser marking interacts with materials in a clean and efficient way, practically eliminating the chance of contamination. Laser marking essentially has little risk of material penetration.
- Combating Counterfeiting: Counterfeiting is a global issue affecting many industries, particularly the pharmaceutical industry. Additionally, marking on pharmaceutical bottles must be tamper-proof, very easy to read, cannot affect the medical product and must be environmentally-friendly. The optimal solution for counterfeiting and for these other concerns is laser internal engraving.
Industries for Automated Laser Marking
Laser marking is incorporated in many industries, including:
- Medicine and Pharmaceuticals