Under the supervision of the Automation Manager, the Automation Engineer works as part of the Automation Group write robot code and create robot simulations. Works as part of the project team install, debug and troubleshoot industrial robots. Trains employees, identifies, analyzes, and repairs product failures, orders and replaces parts as needed. Determines and recommends which products or services best fit the customers’ needs. Contributes to new system concepts and customer contact. Performs site installations and start-ups, and achieves an on-time completion of projects within the project budget.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Plan, write, comment, test and troubleshoot Industrial Robot, PLC and HMI programs using company standard methods and conventions.
- Design and integrate machine safety and industrial network infrastructures.
- Performs in-house testing on industrial robotic (ABB, Fanuc, etc.) systems.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties in order to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to electrical engineering department staff.
- Assist Control Systems Engineers in programming controls components such as PLC, safety devices, HMI, servo drives, process hardware and robots from power-on to debug, and finally to process fine tuning and validation.
- Assist service team by performing a variety of support duties including preparing quotes and sales orders for service jobs.
- Acts as the primary interface with the customer for the contract during the life of a project including review progress and changes in contracts with the project manager
- Works with customers to define a solution for the project that they have proposed
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time; international travel may be required. Travels as required to complete project tasks.
- Maintains a strong company presence and positive working relationship with customers, subcontractors, vendors and co-workers to accomplish smooth system start-ups.
- Other duties as assigned by Department Manager or Project Manager
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Technology, Automation Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- 5+ years of experience in control systems activities; including familiarity with hardware design, PLC, HMI, Vision Systems and Robot programs.
- Working knowledge of current programmable controllers and related technologies.
- Knowledge of common control and computer architecture, networking, and interfacing with higher-level computer systems.
- Experience selecting, programming, and integrating industrial control devices, sensors, PLCs, and HMIs; experience with Siemens or Allen Bradley PLCs required.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of production machinery, and equipment (Robots, LVDT and pressure transducers, dispense systems, temperature controllers, DC nutrunner torque controllers, current and power meters, induction heating systems, box erectors, labelers, laser markers, dot peen pin stampers, etc.).
Our people are the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and company’s achievement as well.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
Apply for this position
Fill out the form below to apply for this position.