Custom Automation Systems
MWES provided a fully automated multi-station rotor assembly machine that needed to be designed and built for this client.
Our customer required that the system had to automatically:
- Accept machined rotor shells of multiple types and sizes
- Automatically load magnets of multiple types and sizes
- Apply two-part epoxy to the shell and magnets using a positive displacement dispensing system
- Provide magnet bonding with individual bonding force feedback and control
- Part cure storage and process control
- Individual part inspection
- Parts must then be placed on a transfer station to be shear tested and magnetized
MWES designed and built a Robotically Loaded Custom Automated System. The customer’s cycle time decreased to one assembled part every 50 seconds. The following methods, components and technologies were implemented and integrated to provide a comprehensive solution:
- Dual manually loaded magnet part slides
- Robotic part handling of the magnets and rotor shells
- Automatically loaded magnet holding tooling
- Automatic positive displacement glue dispensing on each magnet
- Individual part servo-controlled bonding axis’
- Individual part force feedback bonding axis’
- Robotically controlled cure rack
- Part Inspection using laser line generator and Cognex Vision System
Impact to the Customer
The automation system that MWES provided this customer brought about a number of improvements. Such as a part rate of one part assembled every 50 seconds or less, parts that are automatically assembled, all magnet pressing verified using individual axis load cell feedback, all parts being 100% inspected and verified, and bad parts automatically identified.
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in building custom automation systems. If you’re looking to improve your automation throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!
Innovation Through Automation
A leading manufacturer of industrial equipment.