Flywheel Multi-Station Custom Press
A firm came to Midwest Engineered System looking to fully automate a multi-station press for flywheels. The machine must automatically load the flywheels from the parts washer, orient timing gears, bearing race, snap ring and the Lee plug. The parts must then be automatically assembled for manual unloading into dunnage.
Midwest Engineered Systems designed a fully automated multi-station press that has a part rate of one assembled part every 50 seconds. The following methods, components and technologies were implemented and integrated to provide a comprehensive solution:
- Two strand chain conveyor integrated to parts washer conveyor for automatic flywheel introduction
- The vision system used to orientate flywheel TDC (top dead center)
- Magazine escapement loading bearing races
- Vibratory bowl feeder loaded timing gears
- The vision system used to orientate gear by timing mark
- Vibratory bowl feeder loaded lee plugs
- Magazine loaded snap rings
- Individual hydraulic pressing stations using Promess force load monitoring system for press verification feedback
- Automated snap ring installation
- Automated lee plug installation
Impact to the Customer
MWES was able to provide the following improvements to this customer’s manufacturing process:
- Part rate of one part assembled every 50 seconds or less
- Parts are automatically assembled
- All pressing is verified using Promess force load monitoring technology
- Bad parts are automatically identified
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in building turn-key custom automation. If you’re looking to improve your manufacturing throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn about how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!