Dynamic Conveyor Picking
Manually picking from a conveyor is a difficult, labor-intensive job. A firm came to Midwest Engineered Systems looking to switch over their manual operation to one that is robotically automated. By going to robotic automation, worker injuries, factory noise, and an increase in production throughput improved by 10-20%.
Midwest Engineered Systems provided this customer a random conveyor robotic picking system using recirculating conveyors, vision systems and industrial robot integration.
- Recirculating Conveyors
- Allows for buffering of parts
- Parts pass through scanners and are presented to robots without human interference.
- Conveyor part tracking to pick parts “on the fly” off of the re-circulation conveyors
- Vision Systems
- SICK PLB technology mounted above conveyors on tracking slides to locate randomly conveyed parts
- The 3D vision system uses a laser distance system to monitor part location and position
- Vision system locates parts on moving conveyor and directs each of the robots for proper gripping position
- Robotic Automation
- Three Fanuc robots with the magnetic end of arm tools (EOATs) for part picking:
- FANUC vision technology for part verification and exact location determination on the magnet
- Robots properly space parts on outgoing roller conveyors
- Automated tool changers are used to switch between small and large magnetic grippers
- Process Testing & Install – All equipment was set up in the MWES facility for production trial runs and testing before installation. Final runoff testing was conducted at the customer’s site to ensure the system met all requirements
Impact to the Customer
The final robotic picking system provided the customer with the following benefits:
- Less than 2 Year Return on Investment (ROI)
- Removed staff from a dangerous and hot work environment & decreased workforce injuries
- Increased productivity by 10-20%
- Increased quality and temperature control due to a steady flow of product to the heat treat process
- Overall noise reduction
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in building robotically automated conveyor picking lines. If you’re looking to improve your conveyor picking throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn about how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!