Die Cast Robot Tending Automation
Midwest Engineered Systems provided a die-cast robot tending automation machine for a hardware manufacturer. MWES was asked to provide the customer with a FANUC robot to tend a new Frech Die Cast Machine. The factory automation system was also tasked with loading the cast part into a Trim Press. In addition, MWES had quoted additional automation and services to make a complete automation system. The challenge of this project was to achieve an 18 second part to part cycle time.
After a full evaluation of the project’s challenges and goals, Midwest Engineered Systems, as an authorized Fanuc integrator was able to provide the customer with a complete solution, which included:
- Fanuc Robot – This includes M710iC/50 Fanuc robotic arm with R-30iB Mate Controller, DCS Position & Speed Check, ASCII Program Loader, Soft Float, and PC Interface.
- Robot Accessories – The equipment includes a robot EOAT with a pneumatic gripper system, cable harness, and robot mounting base
- Part Verification Stand– This includes a stand and sensor array for part presence after the extraction process has been completed.
- Dunk Quench System – The equipment includes a welded stainless steel tank, heat exchanger, HP Pump, all necessary controls for the system, all necessary valves, and all necessary piping and filtering.
- Cooling Conveyor, Scrap Conveyor and Chutes – Integration of conveyors and chutes into the system.
- Motorized Turntable – Integration of a turntable allowed parts to accumulate. This meant the Die-Cast and Robotic Part Extraction process could continue if the operator were to step away for a few minutes. In addition, the Turntable part accumulator allowed for efficient use of floor space.
- Safety Features – This includes black mesh safety guarding, safety interlock door access, RAG stack light and emergency stop button. The safety solution supplied met the requirements set forth by ANSI/RIA R15.06-2012.
- Controls System – electrical enclosure, electrical panel, power transformers for 480VAC – 120VAC, over current protection, contactors, Allen-Bradley CompactLogix PLC w/Ethernet, Allen-Bradley Panelview Plus Compact 1000 machine interface, electrical control interface for all system I/O, conveyor motor starters or drives, wire way, terminal blocks, fusing, and safety system interface.
Impact to the Customer
The final Die-Cast Fanuc Robot Tending Automation provided the customer with the following benefits:
- Higher quality results
- More efficient and quicker part to part cycle time (18 seconds or less) with higher throughput
- Improved operator safety
- Improved error recovery
- Improved equipment maintainability
- Improved scrap recovery (MWES Scrap Recover System fed scrap directing back to the furnace)
- Lights out operation improved overall system OEE
- Improved floor space utilization
Midwest Engineered Systems has a wide range of experience in robotic machine tending automation. If you’re looking to improve your machine tending throughput, we have the knowledge and experience to make the project a success.
Contact us to learn about how Midwest Engineered Systems can automate even your most complex and challenging operations today!