Control Systems Engineer – Web Handling
Under supervision of the Control Systems Engineering Manager, the Control Systems Engineer works as part of the Web Handling Business team. Responsibilities include electrical design of controls and power distribution writes and tests PLC software, tests control hardware and systems. Demonstrate creativity and ingenuity when applying engineering principals to design custom machining projects involving automation principals. The controls engineer coordinates work with others, while achieving on-time completion of the project within budgetary constraints.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Design and develop controls equipment, instruments and drive systems for converting industry machinery
- Plan electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic controls, drive systems and dryer controls
- Assist with activities to ensure that manufacturing, construction, installation and operational testing conform to functional specifications and customer requirements
- Direct and coordinate operation, maintenance and repair of equipment and systems in field installations
- Plan, write, test and troubleshoot PLC code using company standard methods and conventions.
- Program PLC’s operator interface units, and drives systems with PC based software
- Performs in-house testing on control components and systems. Performs equipment tests at customer site as requested.
- Provide Project Manager (PM) with timely status reports of assignments.
- Program all controls components such as PLC, safety devices, HMI, and drives from power-on to debug, and finally to process fine tuning and validation.
- Use Ladder logic PLCs and Safety PLCs
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Exposure to a wide variety of web handling and converting industry equipment
- Travels as required to complete project tasks.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the web handling and converting industry. Working knowledge of current programmable controllers and web handling industry drive systems.
- Knowledge of common control and computer architecture, networking, and interfacing with higher level computer systems. Experience with some or all of the following system products: Allen Bradley and Siemens PLC’s; Allen Bradley, Wonderware, and Ignition HMI packages; Allen Bradley, Siemens, Bosch-Rexroth, and Parker-SSD (Eurotherm) drives
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondences, and instruction/procedure manuals. Ability to write correspondences and routine reports. Ability to effectively communicate and present information one on one and in group situations to customers, clients, vendors and other employees within the organization.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plan and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, rations and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Professionally to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Efficiently interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to project a competent and likable impression of yourself and the company to customers and vendors. Ability to interface with company employees (including managers, colleagues, and shop personnel); verbally, in writing, and in person; in a positive and helpful way. Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook. Proficiency using Windows-based personal computers including common apps such as internet browsers, photo and video viewers, PDF file viewers, online meeting software, etc.
- Ability to operate a variety of standard office equipment such as a calculator, telephone, FAX, photocopier, etc.
- Exposure to a variety of CAD engineering software including Solidworks Electrical
Work Environment & Physical demands
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach above shoulders; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move drawings, files, parts, and manuals weighing up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPANY POLICY/PROCEDURE COMPLIANCE
- Follow all company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook.
Our people are the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and company’s achievement as well.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
Apply for this position
Fill out the form below to apply for this position.