Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Buyer is responsible for the coordination and purchasing of materials, equipment and suppliers of the organization taking into consideration cost, quality and production time constraints. Products are to be secured at cost quality and at delivery competitive levels consistent with company policy and performance standards. The position is further responsible for the timely planning and scheduling of receipt and inventory control of the product.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Secures and analyzes quotations, negotiates prices and terms with suppliers, and recommends suppliers with respect to cost, quality and delivery competitiveness for assigned responsibilities.
- Collaborate with the Manufacturing Engineers to address and resolve the disposition of rejected and/or non-conforming parts.
- Address and resolve invoice discrepancies and process returns in a timely manner.
- Coordinates, as appropriate, quality matters and engineering changes/developments between company and suppliers.
- Track and expedite requisitions and purchase orders to ensure on time delivery
- Maintain records associated with the purchasing function, supplying relevant information to the accounting, sales and production functions as required.
- Complete and maintain all required paperwork, records, documents, etc.
- Follow and comply with all safety and work rules and regulations.
- Locate vendors of materials, equipment or supplies, and interview them to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree (AA) or three years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Read and understand complex mechanical CAD drawings
- Excellent and effective communication and customer service skills.
- Experience with price negotiations
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a buyer in a manufacturing setting
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as correspondences, safety regulations, instruction and procedure manuals. Ability to write correspondences and routine reports.
- Ability to effectively communication one on one and in small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees within the organization.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as invoices, terms and conditions, contracts, procedure manuals, and various documents.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole number, common fractions, percent’s and decimals.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, commissions, and interest.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook. Proficiency using Windows-based personal computers including common apps such as internet browsers, photo and video viewers, PDF file viewers, online meeting software, etc.
- Ability to operate a variety of standard office equipment such as a calculator, telephone, FAX, photocopier, etc.
- Ability to project a competent and likable impression of yourself and the company to customers and vendors. Ability to interface with company employees (including managers, colleagues, and shop personnel); verbally, in writing, and in person; in a positive and helpful way. Professional written and verbal communication skills.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach above shoulders; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move drawings, files, parts, and manuals weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPANY POLICY/PROCEDURE COMPLIANCE
- Follow all company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook.
Our people are the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and company’s achievement as well.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
Apply for this position
Fill out the form below to apply for this position.