It’s known that automated brake press systems offer increased productivity for metal fabricators. Most manual brake press cells only operate at 65% utilization, making robotic automation attractive with utilization rates near 80-90%.
12 Reasons to Consider Press Brake Automation:
- Throughput: Automation delivers a consistent output and offers enhanced throughput
- Labor Issues: Manufacturers have a difficult time finding workers to perform repetitive tasks
- Safety: Robots don’t get tired or injured. Brake press operators are highly susceptible to injury and strain
- Quality: Automation increases the quality of all aspects of your brake press process
- Process Control: Reduction in process variation
- Utilization: As stated above, most non-automated cells operate under 65% utilization
- Flexibility: Offline programming software helps create and test new press brake programs easily
- Predictability: Predictable production scheduling and system maintenance
- Reliability: Robots are highly reliable and greatly improve manufacturing uptime
- Long runs of the same part: Manual systems tend to take up 1 brake press and 1 operator
- Heavy and unsafe parts: People are moved from moving parts that are difficult to handle or may require more than one operator
- Competitive: Robotic automation has been proven to reduce costs and keeps US companies competitive in the global market.
Depending on your brake press process, there are many different cell layouts and robot brands that can help you optimize your production as well as your floor space.
What to Consider when Selecting a Robot
- Part weight
- Part size – length & width
- Required reach/robot working range
- Are external axis required for servo positioning device?
Equipment and Components Involved
- Multiple infeed/outfeed configurations for continuous operation of the cell
- Custom end-of-arm tooling with multiple zones to handle a variety of parts
- Automatic end-of-arm tool changing options
- Squaring table for proper positions of the EOAT
- Re-grip stand(s) to re-orientate the positioning of the EOAT necessary for multiple bends in parts
- Tool storage station
- Robot mounting configuration
- Vision Station
- Material thickness gauge
Midwest Engineered Systems custom engineers solutions to work with your brake press throughout the metal bending process. Robots are programmed for proper placement and holding power to increase the quality of each part!